Brooklyn Rapper Cavlar Slain

Cavlar R.I.P.

Sohh reports that Brooklyn Emcee Cavlar was murdered yesterday in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn. Cavlar (born Leval Lyde), 36, was gaining recognition with his “Step Up Your Game” DVDs featuring well-known stars when he met an early demise. According to reports he was leaving Fish & Crustaceans Quality Seafood in Fort Greene at 4:50 p.m. when, as he approached the maroon jaguar owned by his child’s mother, he was shot with a single bullet.

The co-owner of the restaurant, Charles Kearney, saw the whole thing happen. “He fell right in front of me,” Kearny told New York’s Daily News. Reportedly, the rapper had been arguing with the gunman and two men with him, all of whom ran after the shooting. He died at Brooklyn Hospital Center. Lyde’s uncle, Clarence Lamb, called the death “senseless.” “Young people killing each other…is fruitless,” he told the New York Post. “It’s crazy, just crazy.” A cousin who asked not to be identified, said the Lyde was “a kind person, a loving person.”

More over at SOHH

13 Responses to “Brooklyn Rapper Cavlar Slain”

1. The Wow Jones Report Says:
    March 26th, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Folks,

Read this in the NY Post this morning and was stunned. I was actually slated to direct a music video for CAVLAR a few years ago. The project didn’t get done for a number of reasons, but I was happy to see him come up. He definitely stayed on his grind.

What a loss.

–Wow Jones

March 26th, 2008 at 2:10 pm

I met CAVLAR on the set of this movie I was in late last year. I can’t say that I knew him personally but it’s always sad to see someone you come across who’s just trying to eat like the rest of us get taken down. This is why no matter what niggas say they’re is no room for success in the hood unless they fear you. Not respect, anyone can have someones respect but fear is the only thing I see that keeps people alive. A lot of dudes respected CAVLAR’s grind such as myself, he was making a name for himself. I just wished he would’ve made it out. Respect.

3. sopranojersey Says:
    March 26th, 2008 at 2:12 pm

This is some bullshit. Come on my black brothers….we need to get focused. To much killing, and not enough love….R.I.P CAV!!!!

4. Cav was my heart Says:
    March 26th, 2008 at 3:58 pm

I am utter disbelief!! I loved you for you.. We fought like warriors but loved like no other. I miss you baby.. Sad to see you go, I prayed for you so much and to see it turn out like this sickens me.. I don’t care what anyone says, you were someone’s father, lover, brother, friend and family member. I’ll love you always. I know now you’re resting and you don’t have to look over your shoulder anyone. Once you to your journey, give Lucky a kiss for me and hug your mom and dad.
    I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Aint No Jive Suckas Here! » Blog Archive » They Tried To Get Max B. Says:
    March 28th, 2008 at 12:49 am

[...] but the truth will come out soon. This is crazy happening a day after the shooting murder of rapper Cavlar. You can read more here. SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: “They Tried To Get Max B.”, url: [...]

6. biggestbadman Says:
    March 28th, 2008 at 4:29 am

RIP cavlar
    respect for the good in you
    condolences to family and friends

7. Kevin did have a heart Says:
    April 4th, 2008 at 4:11 pm

it’s unfortunate what happend to you. you were a product of your own twisted environment. A very smart man who struggled with your own demons within. Things were looking up for you and you started to show promise.. I hope in the after life you’re making wiser decisions. I loved you for you. Sad to see you go, content to know, you’re not suffering anymore.

8. Could you believe this? Says:
    April 8th, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Damn baby, my emotions are running wild. I can’t believe you’re gone. I know you’re probably smiling down shaking your head at all of this predicted nonsense which is being said about you. Continue to watch over your loved ones. Soon enough I know you’ll point out who ACTUALLY DID IT… The Good Lord will definitely put that light on the culprits.. See you soon baby.

9. WISH U WERE HERE Says:
    April 9th, 2008 at 10:38 am

U ARE TRULY MISSED. NO MATTER WHAT, YOU DID HAVE A HEART. YOU DIDN’T ALWAYS MAKE THE BEST DECISIONS BUT IT’S EASIER FOR ALL OF US TO JUDGE EACH OTHER. I LOVED YOU FOR WHO YOU WERE EVEN THOUGH I DIDN’T AGREE WITH ALOT OF THE THINGS YOU DID. YOU’RE WITH GOD NOW.. WE’RE THE ONES WHO’S LEFT IN THIS CONCRETE JUNGLE. KEEP WATCH OVER YOUR LOVED ONES.. SEE YOU SOON.

10. Baby!!!!!!!!! Says:
    April 11th, 2008 at 2:44 pm

I miss you so much. It’s not getting any easier. All I have is memories.. I don’t care what anyone said you did, true there’s a thing called KARMA, so the persons that had anything to do with your MURDER, has there’s coming to them 10 times worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait!

11. poop Says:
    November 29th, 2008 at 3:06 am

ucnle murda poped yo ass nigga

12. Kevin's Heart Says:
    September 10th, 2009 at 2:24 am

I will miss you for the rest of my remaining days on this planet. Watch over me and your babies. The family will forever miss you.. Love you like day one…

13. Teri Megill Says:
    February 13th, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Great information. Tweeted about it. I’ll bookmark this place too.