B.I.G. Made Hip Hop Cool To My Dad

BIG Forever

I remember the Sunday morning was bright like this one. My brother and I were over sleeping trying our best not to go to church. “Yuh hear dem kill Biggie Smalls Inna L.A.” was the words that woke us. I didn’t want to believe it but I knew it was true. I jumped up and turned on my radio to hear Angie Martinez crying. My stomach dropped and she didn’t have to say anymore. I spent the afternoon in my church parking lot bumpin’ Ready To Die with my boy Rich. New York lost our King in a war that still makes no sense.

Growing up my dad didn’t like rap music at all. I’d listen to Hip Hop when he wasn’t around. “Turn off that bumboclaat shit and go do your damn homework” would be the usual rant. His view was that it had no substance to it. I respected his view and bumped it in my room. When Ready To Die came out it all seemed to change. Riding in the van with my Dad I caught him listening to Big Poppa. I figured it was a mistake but he left it on. “I like this tune….nice” he said. I tried to go on and tell him about some other artists but the convo cut short. Baby steps I told myself and I chilled.

As time passed One More Chance would be another force to convert my dad. Now when we’d ride I could listen to Hot97 in the car when we drove around. Christopher Wallace had that appeal with his music. He was a diplomat of sorts with the skill to make everyone feel good. Life After Death sealed the deal and made my Dad a fan of Hip Hop. To this day my Dad has been converted and bumps the fuckery. It’s funny to me these days to see my Dad up on stuff before me. His ring tone is Young Jeezy’s “I Luv It”. In my eyes the quality is not the same as B.I.G. but it’s still Hip Hop. For that I say thank you B.I.G., you made Hip Hop cool to my Dad. Not to mention the Jamaican background big a big plus.

R.I.P. Chris Wallace
May 21, 1972 – March 9, 1997
“The Greatest Rapper Ever”

9 Responses to “B.I.G. Made Hip Hop Cool To My Dad”

1. Fresh Says:
    March 9th, 2008 at 4:34 pm

This is ill but very true story for urs and a lot people’s parents. Even though we might not agree on much but it is nice to come together on something. Pay homage!

Long live the KING!

2. UnoMcfly Says:
    March 9th, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Long Live The KING and GOAT

March 9th, 2008 at 5:23 pm

Man I wish I had a Coogi back then….

4. reeCe Says:
    March 9th, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Word to my 6lu I had on explain to my lil homie this morning who BIGGIE was lil homie was only 11 wen BIG died. Time sure do fly……. BIG fa ever ….. tonite im goin to Party and bullshit fa you Big homie. No pon intented

5. reeCe Says:
    March 9th, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Word to my 6lu I had on explain to my lil homie this morning who BIGGIE was lil homie was only 11 wen BIG died. Time sure do fly……. BIG fa ever ….. tonite im goin to Party and bullshit fa you Big homie. No pun intended

March 9th, 2008 at 7:41 pm

I remember hearing the news and feeling like a favorite cousin died.

7. NativeAmericanIndianX Says:
    March 9th, 2008 at 9:31 pm

i can relate to your story Goat. My mom never til this day really liked rap but she actually knew the words to Juicy. Seeing my mother singing along with Big is a memory i still am very fond of 13, 14 years later.

8. B-Meezy Says:
    March 9th, 2008 at 10:33 pm

thats a very touching story there goat! makes me hungry for a beef pattie, some curried goat & a ginger beer….mmmm

9. Mindy Marin Says:
    March 10th, 2008 at 12:25 am

Nice story Goat. I remember playing the sh*t out of my “One more chance” cassette tape single (with “The What” on the B side). Thought it was one of the greatest songs ever made, and I still do. Hope he’s up in heaven chillin with Pac.

Long live the G.O.A.T.