Lil’ Wayne A Swagger Jacker…Umm Yea

You people burned so much fire on Hov when Cam made the mix showing all the lines he used. Now lets take a look at your favorite rapper (not mine). I know Lil’ Wayne is all I really think but this is my next move in converting you all to putting him back in his right place in rap. The back of the top 200 rappers. Smh at dude stealing even Aliyah lines.

6 Responses to “Lil’ Wayne A Swagger Jacker…Umm Yea”

1. Drew Ricketts Says:
    March 3rd, 2008 at 4:10 pm

I don’t know if it’s swagger jacking when a rapper references famous lines from other famous artists. Hip-hop is a postmodern art form which means that artists are especially inclined to dig into the canon of other work to make their work just as relevant. Ever heard of sampling? Doesn’t just work with beats now. I would call it swagger jacking if it wasn’t such a clear show of respect from one generation to another or if it were stealing lines from lesser known artists. If you’ve listened to enough rap records, you know that this is commonplace.

2. Mindy Marin Says:
    March 3rd, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Wow, Lil’ Wayne borrows lines. I can’t say that I’m surprised. He has always been extremely overrated to me anyway.

But, I wonder what causes some of these rappers to spit another rapper’s lines? I’m not entirely sure if it’s because they’re trying to pawn off these borrowed lines as their own. Many of the lines used are usually very well-known and popular (most lines by Hov, Pac or Big) so why would a rapper recycle them knowing how recognizable they are? I was surprised when I heard the “I don’t write sh*t” Cam diss track and when I heard Hov spitting obvious Biggie lines. Are they doing it to show respect or is it blatant swagga jacking? I think when the line is very recognizable it’s a respect thing. Or perhaps the rapper re-using the line really loved it and just thought it would enhance their track or add something special to it.

But there are other examples from Lil’ Wayne where he bites whole verses from not so popular R&B songs, like the lines he lifted from Aaliyah’s “be without you” , or musiq’s “Me and You” . Not many people would know those lyrics if they didn’t really listen to R&B. I’m not sure why he would even redo the Aaliyah one. His version sounded horrible since the lyrics were extremely feminine and not suitable for him to begin with.
    Anyway, borrowing lines from the greats will always be common in hip hop and it was only a matter of time before Lil’ Wayne was exposed. I’m tempted to add that Ghostface doesn’t bite lines but one of you smart asses might try to counter with that ridiculous Superb claim. Can’t picture someone like Scarface ever being accused of this either.

Oh and FIRST! lol

3. jon b Says:
    March 29th, 2008 at 7:30 pm

yo that doesnt mean nothing crazy amounts of rappers bite lines that was what 15 lines out of the thousands of songs he put out which a high % of the songs was hot

4. ladt t Says:
    May 2nd, 2008 at 11:35 am

uhm… i really dont believe that lil wayne is just stealing lyrics. Lil wayne is a writer and he can writ sum bomb shit. so for those of you who like critasising lil wayne, yal needa stop jocknig because he is the BEST RAPPER ALIVE.. yea he might use other lyrics but he only does it to make it better than it sounded before.

5. Client 9 Says:
    May 2nd, 2008 at 12:48 pm

May 2nd, 2008 at 11:35 am

^^
    Smh. Just step away from the keyboard

6. gh05tf4c3kill4h Says:
    July 4th, 2008 at 5:38 am

My question rap is based mostly on street credibility correct so how does someone that has grown up rich try to rep like he hood. I mean a dude gets a few tats listen to his “daddy” rhymes and a few guys others now he is the best rapper. I know with the stuff comming out now adays most of it makes him look good but thats like being the smartest person in special ed aint nothing to brag about. Drop any rapper from the 92-96 era against lil wayne and we know who will loose. The worst part is this band flobots are sicker than 90 percent of the rappers out now. lol i love it…HIP_HOP IS DEAD