I remember riding the 4 train around this time in ’96 and seeing pictures of 2Pac sitting on a chair throwing up the big W. A bold statement to cover New York trains with these ads. Big Suge really wanted someone over here salty. This was my favorite version of the track. Not because of the video (Hype Did His Thing) but because of the beat. The album went on to sell about 6 million that year on both coasts. 2pac was definitely a force to be reckoned with.

6 Responses to “Throwback Thursdays: “California Love Remix” 2Pac Feat. Dr. Dre & Roger Troutman”

1. Double7 Says:
    February 28th, 2008 at 9:03 am

This was/is my joint right here! Definitely harder than the original version. For a track that is one of my man’s best and probably where his music was heading, peep “Never Had a Friend Like Me”, I think from the Gridlock’d soundtrack. Verrrrrrry tight.

February 28th, 2008 at 10:52 am

F@#K these West Coast niggas! I dont even know why you(GOAT) have this posted on PMD?! This is a east coast and that nigga PAC aint welcome! Just kidding. I wanted to add a 96-97 ‘throwback reply’, lol. This was a great song. Funny how one of the (I would imagine) greatest odes to the city is from someone who isn’t from there.

3. reeCe Says:
    February 28th, 2008 at 10:52 am

Caliphony love reeCe mix….. fucc pac.yea I said it

February 28th, 2008 at 1:02 pm

The remix was always the harder version. S. “a throwback reply” had me gong for a minute.

February 28th, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Someone hit reece wit a dented soup can or some shit.

6. UnoMcfly Says:
    February 29th, 2008 at 12:20 am

i wont go as far as Fucc Pac…but ill be honest about 70 percent of his music..i didnt like..and i listened to alot…I was in Va right before he passed ( God Rest the dead) and these dudes were in love with all his “thug” propaganda…so i was inundated with pac..and i was like Bleh…as i got older i thought maybe i shunned the music…cuz i hated VA and just didnt want any part of what they liked…but NO..i just plain didnt like it…Pac had his moments…A lot more than most Mc’s… But to be Honest… the Dude who started out as MC New York..just never really Moved me consistently as an MC.