NBC Nightly News Special: Hip-hop And African American Women

Industry insiders examine hip-hop and African American women. NBC Nightly News digital reporter Mara Schiavocampo has the story

7 Responses to “NBC Nightly News Special: Hip-hop And African American Women”

December 5th, 2007 at 4:34 pm

I fux with Irv, find your happiness bitchess

December 5th, 2007 at 10:40 pm

I think topic’s like this most people need to speak on instead of who’s beefing, who’s gay and shit like that. I agree with Kevin Powell in the sense that he wants to see women executives. It starts at the top there will be a change in Hip Hop for women once they put themselves in respectable executive positions.

December 6th, 2007 at 1:23 am

Since when does Mama have 3 M’s in it???? That just crossed my mind. Anyway, I respect Melyssa Ford because she actually used videos as her stepping stone & she honestly didn’t have 2. She has her degree from school & she is more than well educated. That’s where it ends though. I’ve heard about her crutch & what can be done 2 make her belittle herself (your secret is safe with me PMD LOL). Karinne Steffans on the other hand needs to kill herself & I mean that 110%. She is the most backtrackingest bitch I’ve ever seen in my life. I don’t call women bitches but she reigns supreme at the top of that list. She used videos for her enjoyment like Gotti said & made a book about it & tried 2 say she’s uplifting young women 2 go out there & get what ur worth. That pretty much says you can fuck whoeva u want just make sure ur gettin top dolla. Don’t be a bottom bitch or your worthless. She officially can’t be within 20 feet of my Johnson, that’s just my philosophy. On the whole though the discussion did touch on a lot of points that are plaguing women in the hip-hop industry 2day. Hopefully the smarter women can wisen up & do something about that.

December 6th, 2007 at 6:37 am

Find your happiness and if you gone be a ho get paid top dollar for it. Though I will say the pimpin’ business is a lot more lucrative. With that said the game needs more executives.

5. Uno Mcfly Says:
    December 6th, 2007 at 10:59 pm

i dunno..for some reason i could care less about this…although its odd how ladies constantly complain about issues like this..and @ the moment we have 0 female posters on the topic…

6. B-LEE Says:
    December 7th, 2007 at 12:21 am

Shes a slut. Bong!!!!!

100

7. Mindy Marin Says:
    December 7th, 2007 at 9:43 am

I thought the panel was well chosen and effective. I didn’t necessarily like everything that Irv Gotti had to say but he was telling the truth. There are women who’s sole purpose in life is to be ‘walking bling’ in music videos. The thought of him using his daughter in one of this videos made me want to throw up though. Why would he perpetuate the misuse of women in videos by putting his own daughter in one?
    I was pleasantly surprised by Melyssa Ford’s input. She spoke very intelligently. She did what she had to do and she was able to transcend. And I am sure there is still a lot more for her to do.
    This is a real issue in today’s society though and there seems to be no end in sight as long as there are male hip hop artists shooting videos. Things are not going to change until women learn to respect themselves and find other ways (aside from stripping or prostitution) to get to the top. Most of these women starving for male attention in these videos usually get used and caught up in it. They don’t want to go to school and work hard for success. They figure being a video girl is the fastest way to gain lasting recognition..and it is not. Who remembers video girls anyway? Only a select few of them come out of it and make it as actresses or to executive positions.
    Then I thought it was interesting that the brought up why there was such a lack of female rappers today. That is a really good question. Where are they? It sucks that all we have to represent us are Lil Kim, Foxy Brown, Eve and Remy Ma. Hopefully more women rappers will step up in the near future. Maybe even some that are not cosigned by the male rapstars of today.