Who Did It Better?!?!
Jay-Z Or 50 Cent

Jay & 50 Halftone

American Gangster has been critically acclaimed since it release. I love the album and it continues to grow more and more on me. I for one am still weary about some tracks. Jay’s track “I Know” features Pharrel. The song is about drug addiction to Heroin. The subject matter is cool and all but I remember 50 doing this years ago on Massacre…and he did it better. Jay’s lyrics are there but the beat was so playful and sing song like. 50′s version was more grimey and grabbed the essence of drug abuse. Download both and discuss my Dukes!

My Opinion: 50 > Jay on this one

I Know | A Baltimore Love Thing

13 Responses to “Who Did It Better?!?!
Jay-Z Or 50 Cent”

November 19th, 2007 at 10:49 pm

Jay > 50. Jay is so much more natural at pulling off this one. FIFTY sounds like he is trying to pull of a ‘concept’ song. Jay does the drug/chick metaphor to death, but its likely because he does it so effortlessly thats its something he feels comfortable going back to. FIFTY was good though, but Big Brother came through and kicked his ass.

2. Korean Slap Boxer Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 2:16 am

You’re definitely buggin’ but its because like Jay said it there are some who are “too involved with the flow”. Fifty did not try, he made a great concept song. You judge Fifty harsher simply cause u don’t like what he stands for. Cause clearly anyone with no bias will say 50′s own is better. Not Pharrell’s bubble gum sounding shit. I have spoke

Signed Supreme Overlord

November 20th, 2007 at 3:32 pm

Everybody has an opinion. I consider ‘Get Rich or Die Tryin’ a classic album regardless of my feelings for FIFTY. ‘The Massacre’ on the other hand was an album full of mixed results. Nonetheless, I think you guys overrate FIFTY based more on image & personality rather then his actual ability. Is it a coincidence that somebody who has sold the number of albums that Fifty has, is never on anyones top 5 list? Like TUPAC he is way overrated based upon believability, comedic timing, and a hit song or two. I judge my songs on lyrics & flow. Considering that JAY is better lyrically then FIFTY hands down and probably has the best flow in the game, the grimiest beat FIFTY can come up with still doesn’t save him when they are being compared rhyming to the same concept.

November 20th, 2007 at 3:33 pm

p.s. When JAY said that there are those ‘too involved with the flow’ he was referring to the copy cats in the game. @ GOAT

5. Korean Slap Boxer Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 6:56 pm

uh uh he said and i quote like my own office. which means people who wont give the honest opinion being that they wont tell there own man simply because they’re afraid or love them too much to hurt them…

November 20th, 2007 at 7:18 pm

Yeah I know Korean. I just wanted another point to win the argument.

7. Korean Slap Boxer Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 7:19 pm

I feel ur view my dude..they game is salt

8. Mindy Marin Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 10:09 pm

This is a tough one!! I feel both songs were placed on those albums to garner female attention.

I remember hearing 50′s, “A Baltimore Love Thing” for the first time, and immediately liking it despite the heavy subject matter.

I also had a similar reaction to Jay’s “I Know”.
    I found it to be more pleasant and fun to listen to. And as a woman I kind of compared the subject matter to maybe a sex addiction as opposed to a heroine addiction. I was able to envision him talking about something other than the nasty business of drug addiction.

When 50 cent’s tried his hand at it, his lyrics were more cut and dry. There was no playfullness or room for interpretation. I didn’t take his lyrics in any other context. I knew exactly what he was talking about, with no question.

In terms of who was more successful though, I’d say Jay-Z’s was more polished and not as serious.
    BUT…50 cent did a great job too and I actually prefer that beat better to Pharrell’s confectionary sing song beat on Jay’s track. 50′s beat was more haunting and better fitted for the subject matter.

I can’t pick which one I like more though. I think both songs are highly effective.

Next, you should analyze who used the gun metaphor best :

Nas in “I Gave you Power” OR Tupac in “Me and My Girlfriend”.

Who rocked that one best?

November 20th, 2007 at 10:49 pm

Mindy, NAS won that one.

10. Korean Slap Boxer Says:
    November 21st, 2007 at 12:13 am

Why u ruined my next who did it better Mindy..I’ll Kill You!!! But yea…NaS murdered that one Tupac just made noise

11. Mindy Marin Says:
    November 21st, 2007 at 5:13 am

S. Mathis..I’d like to hear why you think so. But maybe you should wait until Korean makes a new post.
    I’m sorry Mr. Slap boxer! I didn’t mean to ruin it!

12. Army J from @round da Way Says:
    November 21st, 2007 at 4:20 pm

Jay>50…
    Point blank… the GREATEST RAPPER ALIVE!
    The beat is playful because in this day and age they are censoring mad shit. Jay knows how to play with the “people”. But I definitely give 50 his props and admit he may have given Jay the idea more or less.

13. NativeAmericanIndianX Says:
    November 21st, 2007 at 4:48 pm

As much as i like Nas as an MC and i dislike Tupac period i think there’s a great arguement to be made that Tupac’s track was as incredible if not more than i gave you power.As far as the question at hand as much as PMD writer likes 50′s track the melancholy nature and that sense of euphoria that i’ve heard you feel from using heroin is captured with this beat and on this track by Jay-Z.So i’ll have to respectfully disagree with the writer of this article.