13th Floor, A Brooklyn Story – Phever

08. Save A Place 4 Me
09. Ribbon In The Sky
10. Superstar Feat. Xio
11. Break Em’ Down
12. Chest Fracture Feat. Preme
13. 2 Hard Remix Feat. Hiroller & MECH

Brooklynite Phever has been paying dues in the underground Hip Hop scene for the past few years. His second Lp 13th Floor shows his lyrical growth as well as better production. Although I’m pretty skeptical when it comes to independent artists I decided to give the Young Emcee a shot on PMD.

The Intro sounds kind of like a mix of Hovi Baby and Only A Customer. Speaking of the ills in rap, Phever gives you a reintroduction to himself. Back To Work has an Eminem kind of feel when it comes to the production. The hook is an interpolation of Ja’s hook on Dial M for Murder. Now I’m a fan of the Rule (Post not Present) so I dig the wordplay. 2 Hard’s bass; commands more than what was delivered. The song is cool but it feels like the beat is what’s in control.

Swagger is the guilty pleasure on this album. Not saying anything is wrong with the song. I just really hate the word Swagger that Jay-Z force fed rap and not it’s here to stay. Phever shows his versatility with One Chance. He collaborates with Canadian crooner Voyce and makes a song ready for radio play. I really feel this one from beginning to end. The dedication Rose Song has Phever touching his personal side. A song for those lost, I’m sure one could close these eyes and think of those close to them.

Second Night
is a story of that honey suckles lamb. Nah, its a tale of a one night stand turning into something more. Save A Place 4 Me has Phever having a one on one convo with GOD. The message is pretty clear but I feel I’ve heard more personal talks with the maker elsewhere (all DMX’s Prayer Skits). Ribbon In The Sky is a song for the sisters. A tribute song, to the women who bare these black men. I’m hating cause one needs not touch Stevies flawless work.

Superstar still can’t stick to my ribs, I’m diggin’ Xio’s voice on the hook. Break Em’ Down got skipped. Chest Fracture is hot, end of story. Phever and Preme spit venom over an awkward boom-bap beat not giving the track room to breathe. Hiroller takes over the 2 Hard Remix giving what was missing. Dude bodies the first verse making Phever step it up. His flow, wordplay and delivery takes it where it needs to be. MECH spits a verse but its clear that he comes in third on this one.

All in all I dig some of the songs on 13th Floor. The album sounds more like a compilation than an album. Most of the tracks didn’t stick to my ribs. The ones I really liked were good but not enough to part with my ones. The albums on the right for your listening pleasure. So download, discuss and enjoy.

7 Responses to “13th Floor, A Brooklyn Story – Phever”

1. Eagle Says:
    October 15th, 2007 at 5:35 pm

first off, i want to say congratulations to phever on his first review. i am a huge fan. swagger, 2 hard remix, second night, and chest fracture are my favorite tracks hands down. i have both albums.. i agree that he has definitely matured on this album and i believe that he will only get better. phever’s a well rounded artist and i’m sure he understands that there’s always room for improvement.. i believe the best is yet to come for him.

October 15th, 2007 at 6:03 pm

I believe this review is very unbiased & very fair. With the exception of a few tracks like 2 Hard which I believe has the lyrical content to back up that earth-shattering beat. If you give it a second listen you can hear how he portrays the downfalls of being something your not, can be the demise for a lot of these younger guys who just like to act out what they see. As far as Break Em Down goes, the song is as lyrical as any emcee can make it but I just feel it doesn’t fit the flow of the album. Should’ve been saved for another album or mixtape. Hands down Chest Fracture & 2 Hard Remix are the type of songs that show Phever’s real emcee prowess. It’s that kind of friendly competition that takes his skill to the next level. Hi-Roller does take the cake on that track but Phever stands his own and does Brooklyn proud. I’d have to say it is a step in the right direction for his career and it’s a good transition from his 1st album. I’m a fan of his work & I can’t wait to see what’s next for him.

3. Uno McFly Says:
    October 15th, 2007 at 6:34 pm

Had to Give this thing a few listens before really digging in, It most definitely grew on me. I appreciate the hunger i hear in the rhymes. Chest Fracture, 2 hard and 2 hard rmx are all wonderful. Im ready to hear more from this up and coming Artist….BTW GO BROOKLYN

4. Kayla Bluss Says:
    October 15th, 2007 at 8:14 pm

Phever is so dope. I love second night. Definetly a panty dropper.

5. Mr. AGM|newyork Says:
    October 16th, 2007 at 5:16 pm

Ah yes, Phever’s second LP. Congrats!

Aside from standing behind the camera, I’m a fan of Phever and the effort he’s putting into his work. This album is definitely better than his first, it shows that he has matured since the first release.

However, I still have my little peeves here and there with the whispering/ same-toned/ flatlined voice through some of his tracks. Some may disagree, but to me it sounds like no feeling of aggression like he (REALLY) wants this, but on the 2 HARD Remix, he displayed otherwise. The hunger is there, just let that isht out man – I think the people want more! :)

Overall, the album is a GOOD mix, I skipped around a few times before I decided to sit down and listen to it from beginning to end. Looking forward to see what he brings for a third!

Least favorite track: “Break Em Down”
    Definite Bangers: “Chest Fracture,” “2 HARD (Remix)”

Keep doing your thing! I’m so proud…sniff sniff

6. Quita Says:
    October 17th, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Hands down, 13th Floor is better than Broken Dream. I’m not saying Broken Dream wasn’t good but I am saying you can definitely hear the growth. He does have this smooth, laid back, LL ” I need love” flow going on, but whose to say that’s right or wrong? Wither or not you like his flow, style, voice or whatever you want to call it, the man has talent. With time and the right mentor ya boy is gonna be a Star!

my favs are “One Chance” and “Superstar”

it must be a chick thing
    : )

7. Arsenix Says:
    October 27th, 2007 at 11:27 pm

From a personal standpoint, I have to say that I favor 13th floor to Broken Dream. The growth is evident and Phever only continues to get better and better as time progresses. His versatility is something that not many artists show today, and even when changing subject matter, the quality of lyrics remain the same. Top notch. Dude’s got skills for real, you might have to listen to or 3 times before you catch onto some of the things that he’s saying, but he’s most definitely saying something. It’s hard to pick favorites on this album, because it was solid all way round. However, the standout tracks in my eyes, are 2 hard remix, Swagger and Superstar.