re:VERSal – “Cashmere Thoughts” Jay-Z

Reasonable Doubt - Cashmere Thoughts

This is the way I’ll always remember Jigga. No rapper ever painted more vivid pictures of the life. I myself never hustled rocks or dreamt to. He painted the pictures only the way someone who once romanced that life could’ve. The hustler who wore custom suits and ran the underworld of rap with a demeanor similar to Lucky Luciano. As a youth I’d pop in this CD, close my eyes and ride the 4 train. For an hour I’d be that hustler. Moving through the Big Apple with the swag and confidence Jay-Z spoke of. I’d sip Cristal, drive the finest automobile and play craps in the finest casinos while running the streets and dodging the law. He was, no is the epitome of a hustler. From beginning to end Reasonable Doubt served as the Hustlers guide. Even though Frank was King, his successor was clear…

Jay-Z – Cashmere Thoughts

Uhh, I talk jewels and spit diamonds, all cherry
like a hymen, when I’m rhyming with remarkable timing
Caviar and silk dreams, my voice is linen
Spittin’ venom up in the, minds of young women
Mink thoughts to think thoughts type similar
Might you remember, my shit is coooool like December
Smoother than Persian rugs, the cashmere
chromosomes make a nigga Jigga Jay-Z lethal drugs
Eighteen carat gold pen, when it hits the sheets
Words worth a million like I’m rappin’ em through platinum teeth
I got the Grey Poupon, you been warned
Cause all beef return well done filet mignon
The Don, smell of Dom on my breath as I
yawn, (slow) when you hoes try to con a pro
As if you didn’t know, Jay’s about gettin’ dough
Spittin’ flow like fine wines down your earlobe
I’m smooth but deadly like a pearl handled pistol
Honeys hum in melody when I, rub it like crystal
The proper etiquette, when I drop the subject verb
then the predicate, with this rich nigga rhetoric
I’m solid gold, I rap like a mink stole
I stick pearl tongues your world’ll never know
From New York, to Paris, the vocal style vary
From nice to deadly like a bad bag of D, now
notice, the child swift like a locust
Focus on the loc’ I be the greatest nigga that wrote it
Return of the Jedi, from Rio De Janeiro
Worn da red eye, yet I, still feel the need to be fly
I did die when I’m rappin’ then slide like satin
You know the black eye white china in the brain cabinet
I never cry if I did I’d cry ice
From my nigga Sauce, I hit you with this advice
Life’s short, so play hard and stick hard
and the only time you love em is when your dick hard

Whoooh! That’s cashmere baby
Nah, you know, that’s just laid back man
Man, shit, J to the A to the Y to the Z
Yeah baby
Motherfuckin’ pimp that’s what he be
Cashmere baby
Don’t get no hotter than that
Sho’ you’re right
Them niggaz know

Check it out, check it out
Ghettos, Errol Flynn, hot like heroin
Young pimps is sterile when I pimp through your borough in
I gotta keep your tricks intact
Cause I walk like a piiimp, talk like a mack man
The star player, the golden bar layer
The sweet Ms. Fine Thing par-layah, sho’ yo right
I’m game tight, so watch it it change to night
Go tell your peeps dawg I’m lethal til’ it ain’t right
I pimp hard on a trick, look
Fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot….

14 Responses to “re:VERSal – “Cashmere Thoughts” Jay-Z”

1. Black Benny Hill Says:
    August 6th, 2007 at 11:43 pm

This was very true, this is why I felt about Jay’s music. The swag is what always did it for me, one Brooklyn has and that is Swag!

2. Beggar Says:
    August 7th, 2007 at 9:33 am

Jay style was crazy at this point… Look how far this game as come… Jay and Nas did a real track together…

3. Mindy Marin Says:
    August 7th, 2007 at 10:24 am

REASONABLE DOUBT is the Jay-Z album that has always stood out to me the most. It is flawless from beginning to end. Everything about it – (from the album cover, to the subject matter of each track and that trademark effortless flow)- solidified Jay-Z as one of the best to ever do it. And he was able to achieve that right off the bat. As much as I love ILLMATIC, I have to say that REASONABLE DOUBT was a classier, more cohesive and streamlined album.

4. Beggar Says:
    August 7th, 2007 at 11:51 am

Yea real Jay fans know about the resonable doubt album cover that came out first and on the CD you had the gun in the street… If you not familiar with that do your reserach.

August 7th, 2007 at 11:52 am

In 1996, I was working on the loading docks of Saint John’s University in Queens, just prior to my junior year. Nas had receieved a ridiculously appropriate amount of hype prior to the release of ‘It was Written’; the follow up to the classic but overlooked ‘Illmatic.’ A kid I was working with, who knew I was a huge B.I.G fan & Brooklyn resident as I was, pulled my ear away from Nas’s second classic, to listen to a new joint he had, called ‘Brooklyn’s Finest’ featuring B.I.G. Understand that during this time all of the B.I.G collabos had been with inferior emcees including his Junior Mafia peeps, so you had always saw B.I.G’s lyrics/flow/ and personality dominate anything he was on up to that point. All seemed as usual as B.I.G dropped the unforgettable line “…sprinkle coke on the floor make it seem drug related…” which just f*@ked up our heads. The problem came when this unknown emcee on the track followed and one upped the B.I.G line with the eye opener “…nigga please – like short sleeves I bear arms.” Rewind to ‘Politics as Usual’ (it was cassette tapes back then) and well, I knew we had a problem on our hands. That afternoon I made my way downtown Brooklyn to ‘Beat Street’ to pick up RD, left for South Carolina that week for vacation, and well, didn’t listen to ‘It was Written’ or appreciate it till well into the fall of that year. Yeah, Reasonable Doubt was that nasty! Of course, little did we know that there was this purple tape being crafted and waiting for us by years end which would further distract me from Nas. Nonetheless, the release of this album (I was 17 years old at the time) just reminds me of why I’m so hard to impress these days. This is a album that you didn’t need in CD format (nonexistent in my world back then) since there was no skipping tracks. There were no weak beats, album filler, garbage collabos, or anything else to bypass. You let that tape play till it popped. Then you went a bought another one.

August 8th, 2007 at 8:18 pm

Sorry S. Mathis that purple tape came out the year before…summer actually. In the words of Hov Do the knowledge, do the few dollars, I’m due to demolish…

7. Beggar Says:
    August 8th, 2007 at 8:20 pm

…Crews Brooklyn through Hollis to a hood near you, what the fuccccck… Bring it on if you think you can hang! LOL good one! 1 for GOAT…

8. Marcus Graham Says:
    August 9th, 2007 at 9:28 am

“…as long as the villain win/I spend Japan yen at ten major events/catch me in the joint convinced my iguanas is bitin’/J.A.Y. hyphen/contollin’, manipulatin’/I got a good life man/pounds and pence/’nuff dollars makes sense/while you ride the bench/catch me swingin’ for the fence/dead presidents y’know?!”

Jeez, at first I used to say Illmatic was the best ever made. It wasn’t until a few years ago where I had to reassessthat and go with Reasonable doubt. Nas’ slang and delivery was perfect on Illmatic but where Reasonable Doubt surpassed it was the fact that it seemed like every one of Jay’s lines had like friggin’ four meanings to it. To this day I can go back and peep new shit that he said. And it was just so grown. He sounded well traveled and just made you believe that he wasn’t frontin’. I remember at the time ni99as was arguing if this cat really had a million dollars cuz all the rumors about son just started surfacing. I don’t think there’s any doubt now.
    I gotta give it to duke…he hands down the best ever!

9. NativeAmericanIndianX Says:
    August 9th, 2007 at 9:00 pm

I love hindsight because its always 20/20. I remember listening to the tape of Reasonable Doubt “and this way back when..” and i instantly thought this is the best rapper ever. I knew Jay-Z was the best with that album even when Biggie was alive at the time i was telling people Jay-Z’s verses on Brooklyns Finest were way iller than Big’s and i still think so today. That album didn’t have a single track that i didn’t rewind atleast 50 times (true shit). I had to make 2 copies of that tape cause i played it so much. Anyway that is still the best album i ever heard and because of it i’ll always be a Hov fan. Oh and its BY FAR the best Jay album. Hate to say it but i told ya so “way back when”.

10. NativeAmericanIndianX Says:
    August 9th, 2007 at 9:05 pm

“Life’s short so play hard and stick hard and the only time you love em is when your dick hard” DAMN dats cashmere baby! Da Prophet

11. Verbal Says:
    August 12th, 2007 at 9:52 pm

i miss rap… not much real hip hop left

12. Generation-HipHop Says:
    August 13th, 2007 at 10:59 am

Generation-Hiphop Check out http://www.generation-hiphop.com for Hiphop News, Free Downloads, Mixtapes and More!!!

13. Rami Says:
    September 26th, 2007 at 5:54 am

Cashmere Thoughts is without a doubt in my mind the best rap track I ever heard.

Everything written at the top of the article is exactly how I feel about this song.

The beat, the words and Jay get me everytime on this track. You just have to bop your head and feel his flow and the brilliant beat. How music this perfect is made I simply cant understand!

14. jonas Says:
    October 16th, 2008 at 8:27 am

i only discovered this a few years back, because i wasn’t really into jigga before. when you are, or have been, in the life, you will see that this album paints the realest picture of it. the ups and the downs, the celebration and the paranoia. i didn’t understand jay’s stuff until i got a little older and had experienced some of the things he speaks about. i like the fact he doesn’t spell it out for you.

I’ll tell you half the story, the rest you fill it in….