Tay Zonday’s Chocolate Rain
More than a funny Youtube Clip

bELL cURVE BOOK

So yea weve all had our laugh at the video from Tay Zonday called Chocolate Rain. What I didn’t know was that this song was more than some poor sap trying to grab his 15 minutes of fame. Well maybe he was but at the same time he ended up droppin’ a gem on em (word to Prodigy)…and when I say em’ I mean me.

Turns out one of the lines made me run back through the whole song. What I got from it was a reflection of Blacks and how were viewed and how we view ourselves. The line The Bell Curve blames the childrens DNA is very important and easy to miss. The Bell Curve is a controversial, best-selling 1994 book by Harvard professors Richard J. Herrnstein and Charles Murray. Its central point is that the affluent and their children (the “cognitive elite”) are affluent due largely to an innate genetic and intellectual superiority to the non-affluent. The book had the potential for offending the majority of the U.S. population in that it constitutes a defense of plutocracy and inequality due to race, but it became widely read and debated, especially Chapters 13 and 14, where the authors state that blacks have a lower mean intelligence than whites and Asians due to genetic factors.

After finding this out and downloading an ebook copy of this f*ckery I decided this information should be shared. It’s no secret that were considered second class citizens no matter our financial status. We all really need to wake up and make sure the babies don’t repeat the mistakes we do. So if you have a son, daughter, little cousin or neighbor close to you. Take the time to let them know there worth in this world. Don’t just plop em’ down in front of 106 & Park. If you do there will be more Bell Curves and fewer Chocolate Rains.

9 Responses to “Tay Zonday’s Chocolate Rain
More than a funny Youtube Clip”

August 2nd, 2007 at 9:41 pm

Well to quote Mobb Deep “Survival of the fit, only the strong survive.”

I acknowledge that this country is built upon 400 years of free labor and some of us get it and some of us don’t. As a descendant of slavery, certain members of my family chose to “get it” and some didn’t. I choose to “get it.” Yes there are certain social ills in our communities that can be linked to slavery and just outright racism. But, as a man I refuse to blame all of our short comings as a people on the man. Our music/culture promotes robbing, stealing degradation of our woman and a overall lack of self responsibility. Let me guess, the “white man” makes us listen to this music right? The “man” makes us want to be “Trap Boys, D-Boys, Gangbangers etc.” It’s all entertainment kids, just that entertainment. With that said the next time you are in a fucked up situation look in the mirror and say:

“IT’S ALL MY FAULT AND EITHER I’M GOING TO CONTINUE TO BEHAVE LIKE LESS THAN A MAN I:E A BITCH OR I’M GOING TO GET OFF MY ASS AND MAKE A CONSCIOUS EFFORT TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.”

And if you take this to mean robbing and stealing then you should be castrated like the lazy nigger dog that you are. Mathis signing the fuck out.

2. R. Kelly's Lawyer Says:
    August 3rd, 2007 at 7:07 am

Well to quote Mobb Deep “Survival of the fit, only the strong survive.”

I acknowledge that this country is built upon 400 years of free labor and some of us get it and some of us don’t. As a descendant of slavery, certain members of my family chose to “get it” and some didn’t. I choose to “get it.” Yes there are certain social ills in our communities that can be linked to slavery and just outright racism. But, as a man I refuse to blame all of our short comings as a people on the man. Our music/culture promotes robbing, stealing degradation of our woman and a overall lack of self responsibility. Let me guess, the “white man” makes us listen to this music right? The “man” makes us want to be “Trap Boys, D-Boys, Gangbangers etc.” It’s all entertainment kids, just that entertainment. With that said the next time you are in fucked up situation look in the mirror and say:

^^

[/thread]

3. Marcus Graham Says:
    August 3rd, 2007 at 7:46 am

The point those authors were trying to make is total nonsense. If anything, we’re probably superior but we’ve just lost our way. Thing is though, I have to ask myself the question why many of us behave the way we do. Yes, “the man” has set us up to fail but it’s 2007 now. Not to say there isn’t still racism and SOME infrastructure set up to make us fail, but it always comes back to personal choice.
    I don’t know of any other race who would piss in their own elevators. You also have to look at the communities of Blacks who’ve had Grandmothers, Mothers and kids ALL growing up in the projects….that shit is ridiculous because don’t tell me out of three generations, NONE of them can get themselves out of that rut. Not just physically because it’s also a mindstate. Many of them are lazy and don’t want to do anything. Brand new sneakers, hustling and got on all the fly shit and push the hard whips but they live right in the P’s. Sorry, but that’s some dumb shit. Not only that, but Blacks love to be ignorant. I’ve never seen a ppl so obsessed with wantding show how gangsta or dumb they can be. Shit ain’t cute. We’re the only ones going around at age 39 proclaiming “I’m grown!” Blacks love to talk about how they’re grown but show no responsibility. It’s only gonna get worse for the children cuz their parents are idiots.

4. Beggar Says:
    August 3rd, 2007 at 7:59 am

Damn Mathis summed it all up right there… Pay attention…

5. R. Kelly's Lawyer Says:
    August 3rd, 2007 at 8:43 am

Our parents didnt know better. Its hard to teach a child when you are ignorant to the fact.

Our community think about the “now” and not so much about the future. We are based on living in the present. Kids hustle cause they want that fast cash. They dont think about working, getting an education and setting things up for the future. Me (like alot of us) never had savings fund set up by our parents. I never even heard of stocks and bonds until i went to college. Our nearsighted perception of life it the cause of a lot our the crime in our neighborhoods. Robbery and murders occur because we want things now.

We also lack Unity amongs our selves. Its to a point where a white guy is safer in Bed Stuy and Harlem than a brother. Im not saying go and hurt a white person you see walking the streets but we shouldnt fight among ourselves. We can have the strongest, most prolific leaders and we still wouldnt get far because it takes unity.

August 3rd, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Hold on fellas. Before you dispute what is written in the book, ask yourself the following question: Are blacks genetically superior to other races in the world athletically (i.e. – sprinting, long distance running, basketball, baseball (at the athletic positions), football, etc)? I’m guessing that most of you are nodding your head affirmatively. So, pardon me if I find it funny how quickly some of you are offended by the notion that (key-phrase: “on average”) we tend to be less intelligent then whites & asians.
    Just some food-for-thought kids. Dinners ready!

August 3rd, 2007 at 4:16 pm

…Lets all look at examples of children raised by affluent parents, with all the inherent advantages that come with such a pedigree(superior private schools, academic materials, private tutoring, wordly exposure through travel at a young age, etc): 1- Paris Hilton, 2- Nicole Richie, 3- Kim Kardashian, and 4- Lil John, 5- Kimberely Stewart (rock star Rod Stewart’s daughter who can currently be seen on Cribs and is Paris Hilton’s BFF), 6- all the Osbourne children seen on their MTV show, etc. Should I continue? Those (supposed) genetic advantages sure didn’t kick in.

August 3rd, 2007 at 4:55 pm

“Unfortunately for the readers of “pardon me duke” you have given me a new outlet for my boredom. My random thoughts on the culture will continue to spill across your pages until I’m uninvited.”- S. Mathis

9. NativeAmericaIndianX Says:
    August 4th, 2007 at 8:03 am

This is always a complicated topic because i really feel to an extent their is an infrastructure in place to stunt overall progress of the lower class because “without hell heaven wouldn’t seem so nice”. I also feel that black folks have found ways to utilize their supposed inherent gifts to quote the prophet Jay-Z “all us blacks got is sports and entertainment until we even” and “we hustle out of a sense of hopelessness”. It to me is not as much a black and white thing as it is a economic status thing.Cuz Bill Gates was a college dropout (although obviously for good reasons) and would be just another middle class american if his situation didn’t work out. Same with a Donald Trump i know i could beat him in a spelling bee but because he has money he is generally considered ‘smarter’ than me. Are Russell Simmons and Bob Johnson the smartest black men in the world? No. Through the struggles individuals have to strive for financial success because with that comes a certain perception of superior intelligence. If i make 20 million dollars in the next five years i will be perceived as a highly intelligent individual (but i’m sure i’m not close to the most intelligent person on this blog). That’s where the focus should be and that’s where it is so for those who are less fortunate they take the money and the cycle will never stop because their has to be poor people and rich people for the world to function. And as long as you’re poor you’re dumb. (just my thoughts whether right or wrong)