re:VERSal – “Take It In Blood” NaS

Take It In Blood

In the summer of 96′ no emcee held that title truer to me than Nasir Jones. It Was Written to me was his most critical piece ever forged. NaS had to remain true to his lyrical content while adapting to new production styles artists such as the Notorious B.I.G. and others made famous during his short hiatus. The ever well known sophomore jinx was also another monkey on his back. From beginning to end the album was filled with stories, metaphors and bravado crowning NaS the King in my mind. The album was so flawless at the time it overshadowed a new comers Reasonable Doubt until someone passed it to me in the fall. Take It In Blood is one NaS illest tracks by far. Every line is seamless and full of confidence only a real Emcee can fabricate.

NaS – Take It In Blood

Yo; I never brag, how real I keep it, cause it’s the best secret
I rock a vest, prestigious, Cuban link flooded Jesus
in a Lex watchin Kathie Lee and Regis
My actions are one with the seasons
A tec squeezin – executioner, winter time I rock a fur
Mega popular, center of attraction
Climaxin, my bitches they be laughin
They high from sniffin coke off a twenty-cent Andrew Jackson
City lights spark a New York night
Rossi and Martini sippin, Sergio Tachinni flippin mad pies
low price, I blow dice and throw em
Forty-five by my scrotum, manifest the “Do or Die” slogan
My niggaz roll in ten M3′s
Twenty Gods poppin wheelies on Kawasaki’s
Hip-Hop’s got me on some ol’, sprayin shots like a drumroll
Blankin out and never miscount the shells my gun hold
I don’t stunt, I regulate
Henny and Sprite, I seperate, watchin crab niggaz marinate
I’m all about tecs and good jooks and sex
Israelite books, holdin government names from Ness
MC’s are crawlin out, every hole in the slum
You be aight like blood money in a pimp’s cum

I made it like that, I bought it like that, I’m livin like that
I made it like that, I bought it like that, I’m livin like that…. for, you wack MC’s

Verse 2

Currency is made in trust of the Messiah
I’m spending it to get higher
Earth, Wind, and Fire singing reasons why I’m
up early, trustworthy is a nine that bust early
Sunshine on my grill, I spill
Remi on imaginary graves, put my hat on my waves
Latter Day Saints say religious praise
I dolo, challenge any team or solo
You must be buggin out, new to my shit, home on a furlough
Ask around, who’s laid up, sharp and straight up
Mafioso, gettin niggaz wigs sprayed up
Skies are misty, my life’s predicted by a gypsy
I’ll one day walk into shots drunk off champange from Sicily
This be the drama, I’ma pause like a comma
in a sentence, paragraph’s indented
Bloodshot red eyes, high, yellow envelopes of lye
Openin cigars, let tobacco fly
Condos are tuneproof, we’re looking out the sky’s moonroof
Shittin like gin and prune juice
Yo the system wants the coon’s noose, hang em high
Courtrooms filled up, it’s off the hook while I
just wrote a statement, like I’m facing twenty years
in the basement – chilling on the via with Mumia
for wearin chrome – I told the judge snakes slither
like Sharon Stone, but like Capone I’m thrown (yo)

I made it like that, I bought it like that, I’m livin like that
I made it like that, I bought it like that, I’m livin like that

Verse 3
Lyrical, ly-lyrical mission..
Lyrical..
Yo the time is wastin, I use the mind elevation
Dime sack lacin, court pen pacin
Individual, lyrical math abrasion
Psychic evaluation, the foulest nation
We livin in, dangerous lives, mad leak and battered wives
A lifestyle where bad streets is patternized
Wise men build and destroy
While the real McCoy dopefiend, named Detroit is still dealin boy
Coke suppliers actin biased
Cause rumors say that niggaz wear wires and we liars
But every night the gat’s fired, and every day a rat’s hired
I still remain the mack flyest in the phat Kani, it’s just the killer in me, slash drug dealer MC
Ex-slug filler, semi mug peeler
Demi, bottles of Mo’, yo simply follow me flow
Put poetry inside a crack pot and blow
rough holes for cracked out pussies and buttholes
Bring the G’s and the D’s roll, they can’t touch those
Why shoot the breeze about it, when you could be about it?
My degrees are routed, toward the peasy haired brick houses
instead of the fake medallions
Rich niggaz transport in thousands
Foreign cash exchange amountin’ to millions
Doors is locked, rocks is chopped, watch the cameras in the ceilings
Trick bitches catching mad feelings
Peelin off in the Lex Jeep, techniques is four-wheelin
I bet it be some shit when we connect with Stretch
When we catch them sex niggaz with the tecs you blessed, word
So now it’s on, never wasted a slug,
Time is money when it comes to mine, take it in blood

I made it like that, I bought it like that, I’m livin like that

13 Responses to “re:VERSal – “Take It In Blood” NaS”

July 31st, 2007 at 2:06 pm

So I’m watching MTV2…And they are announcing the Hottest MC’s for 2007..I’m guessing they do it on the basis on what the artist had done the year before andt he present year..In a round table panel of writers, show producers and of course Sway, they came to the conclusion that Nas..The Illmatic MC did not make it..Who did he get bumped off the list for?? Jim Jones..I’m glad yall posted this example of vintage hip-hop. Even vet’s in the game are losing status to giant belt-buckle’s tight jeans paint splashed shirts…To some of the panel, that’s relevant…Reminds me of that corny Who’s Now segment on ESPN… Props to PardonMeDuke

Pay Homage niggas!

July 31st, 2007 at 2:10 pm

That MTV Segment was bullshit. Sway plays the game cause that’s how he keep his lights on. I know he’s a true Hip Hop head at heart. Fuck Lil’ Wayne, dude aint lyrical..maybe he needs to read the lyrics to this track. Then think about his “Greatest Rapper Alive” Claim…Jay-Z really opened the door for this loser (smh)

3. Executive Nick Says:
    July 31st, 2007 at 2:25 pm

Damn homey, you just made my month.
    I cldnt agree more if I tried……THEE two albums that forever changed my life….ILLMATIC & IT WAS WRITTEN.

Good Commentary, well written.

4. rashid Says:
    July 31st, 2007 at 4:10 pm

nas is the best rapper alive,iam an african i was so inspired with illmatic
    since when i was back home i mean the flow , he represents black culture
    universsary he and a few of them are the only ones with pure skills ,iam bit upset by thre way things are going in hip hop today some of this cats don’t even have one classic song late alone album,iam agiging now and my for hiphop is uncondisional but just can’t put up with these new arts
    peace and love

5. Mr. AGM|newyork Says:
    July 31st, 2007 at 4:13 pm

That’s real hip hop!

Excellent.

6. Beggar Says:
    July 31st, 2007 at 5:23 pm

Yo Nas really need to be up on that top 10 slot regardless… Dudes got the game twisted these days and lame rap is taking over but, It will come back around again. Waiting for the next Re versal!

7. Big Homie Says:
    August 1st, 2007 at 8:03 am

Good post. It Was Written was not liked by many because they was expecting an Illmatic 2. It Was Written was close to it in my opinion. The album was almost there. Take It In Blood is in the top 3 of tracks on that album.

I Gave You Power, Shootouts, The Message…all classic tracks

August 1st, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Nas always looks better when your reading his lyrics versus listening to the album. Nonetheless, he is in the top-5 greatest emcees of all time. I remember buying “It was written” on the same day as “Reasonable Doubt”. I was a huge Nas fan but Jay stole the show in my mind despite the fact that Nas had huge sales. RD was just flashier, Jay was from Brooklyn, and had the B.I.G stamp of approval with the classic ‘BK’s Finest’. Over time I came to appreciate how good this second Nas album was. Its one of those albums that you listen to a thousand times and on the 300th listen your still hearing jewels you didn’t notice before (what did Nas mean on ‘Take It in Blood’ when he said “you’ll be aight like blood money in a pimp’s cum?”). The year is 2007 and I still hate ‘Nas is Coming’. That is by far the wackest track on the album. ‘The Message’ is beautiful to listen to in the car; ‘Watch dem Niggas’ is Foxy at her best use (collaborating w/ a dope emcee); ‘Affirmative Action’ a gem back when I thought AZ was gonna be better then Nas; and ‘Live Nigga Rap’ a classic back when we legitimately felt sorry for any emcee who foolishly thought they could win a battle with Prodigy (check “Hell on Earth’s” hidden diss track about Keith Murray- ‘In the Long Run’). Ahh, the good ole days, when rap was still relevant. When I was seventeen I was buying ‘It was Written’, ‘Cuban Linx’, ‘Reasonable Doubt’, ‘Hell on Earth’ and ‘Doe or Die’! What are you 17 year olds buying today? I hear Juelz Santana has a hot one! LOL!

9. Drew Says:
    August 4th, 2007 at 12:18 pm

In my mind, Nas is truly the greatest rapper that ever lived. It Was Written is a classic in my mind and is ranked just below Illmatic. Both albums are pretty much flawless.
    While Nas is still heavily respected, I feel that his greatness wont be fully appreciated until he is long retired. This guy has the ability to do anything with rap. Incredible lyrics, classic beats, untouchable flow.
    Im only 19 and I laugh at the kids younger than me and the same age that really think that LiL Wayne and LiL Boosie is real rap. Its just sad.
    I really feel that we might have seen the end of classic rap.
    Carry on Tradition

August 6th, 2007 at 1:20 pm

Just a minor correction to your entry DREW: Jay-Z is the greatest rapper ever. Nas is a close 2nd or 3rd depending on how forgiving you are to B.I.G for dying too early. Nas is the greatest lyricist of all time, but Jay is the greatest package ever: top 5 lyricist in the game, best flow ever (hits on every type of beat you can think of), hot albums every year he existed in rap (4 classics by my count – RD, Vol.2, Blueprint, Black Album). Nonetheless, Nas (notice the qualifier coming->) at his best is a superior lyricist but Jay has been more consistent and always sounds better more consistently. Check: ‘Black Republicans’. Read the verses: Nas had the better verse – Nonetheless, why did JAY sound so much better! Hip Hop’s sickness easily diagnosed: Tupac’s death, B.I.G’s death, Jay & Nas getting old, and a lack of suitable young replacements.

11. DJ Ak-Nolij Says:
    August 7th, 2007 at 8:30 pm

Is it a good thing to be both a Murray fan and a Mobb Deep fan? =/

Cause imo, beef is either useless or just plain stupid. Why cant rappers nowadays just battle and admire their skills(meaning having great sportsmanship) instead having to be the center of attention by beefing with another rapper? I just don’t get it. Better yet, why do people even care?

12. DJ Ak-Nolij Says:
    August 7th, 2007 at 8:31 pm

By the way, I loved the lyrics. One of the all time greatest lyricists of all time.

13. Take It In Blood « Letsjusteatcheese Says: